20240520 - Ageing...

 Yesterday, a very good friend of mine had come home. We studied together in college. 


While we were talking (rather she was speaking and I was mostly nodding along 😊), we realised it was 30 years since we went to college.

It doesn't feel like that at all. I can remember some of the days/ incidents very clearly like it was just yesterday. 

Same thing happens regularly when I think back of many things scattered all over the duration of my lifetime. 

When we realised that it was 30 years ago, we also joked about our own ages now and we were getting old., 

I have similar moments when I see my daughters. Sometimes when I see them do something, It hits me that they are fast growing - and inturn I am fast growing old as well... 

But am I? 

As I mentioned, everything in my memory feels like yesterday or last week.. I feel very young as well and don't seem to realise I am almost 50.

I think our minds are ageless. Over time, with many circumstances and experiences, it matures but does not age. 

Unfortunately, it is a different story with our bodies. Whether we like it or not, they age. From the moment it is born, every passing moment - it ages till it has a life. Every fleeting moment getting closer to its eventual end to perish. 

I think many of our difficulties start when the ageless mind encounters the reality for the first time that the body is ageing and not able to keep up with the mind. 

Many related injuries happen because of it - sprains, strains, dislocations, fractures etc. The ageless mind thinks it can do something which the ageing body is not able to.. 

But the body ageing is a reality that hasn't changed since evolution. There are many folks pouring billions for research to (if not completely avert) at least delay the eventuality. Something tells me it is going to be good money wasted over nothing... 

I feel it is very important for the ageless mind to meet with the ageing body early and familiarise itself with each other. It will be a very rude encounter later otherwise. 

What do I mean by this? 

Acceptance by both. 

We have to very early on realise the mortality of the body and limitations it develops as it ages so take good care of it from a young age, feed it healthy stuff, rest it adequately and not push it beyond it's means, etc. 

At the same time, not to give age as an excuse for thinking about something and try to escape our ability and responsibilities towards many things. 

Acceptance is the key, whether normal, gradual delayed meeting of the mind and body or rude shock meetings like most stroke survivors, where the encounter is drastic and overnight.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...