20230816 : Red carpet welcome

I watched on TV today a dignitary of one country visiting another country - friendly countries.

They gave a grand reception. It was a "Red Carpet" reception. Needless to say - everything was Red. The carpet, some clothing draped here and there etc .

I was thinking about this.

Why is it "Red" Carpet?

Everything we do and associate with "Red" isn't really friendly. Red lights means stop. Red flag means war, red flags mean alerts/ alarms. Red status means things are not going well all the way to an uncomfortable to speak profession being carried out in a Red light area.

So why do we use Red?

I tried to look into it online. Surely, there must be some concrete rational that I don't know.

Actually, there isn't. A common and general explanation I found is Red is majestic and grand and hence is used.

"In which age" I ask?

Maybe couple of centuries ago, when tyranny was respected, wars and agression was prevalent etc.

Right now we are looking for peace, for friendship, things going smoothly etc. I don't have to tell you what colour comes to mind - especially when there is also so much talk about climate change and "Green" washing everywhere.

Why don't we extend a Green carpet welcome to signify peace and happiness and friendship etc?

The extended a 21 gun salute afterwards! I don't even want to comment on that... 

Comments

  1. Anonymous17/8/23 10:47

    Sree a few years ago the award organisers I think for Filmfare awards came up with the idea of green carpet exactly along those lines. Amrit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super! Thanks for letting me know Amrit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...