20230321: only in India

Couple of months ago, I had written about my amusing experience of my PEG tube falling out. A follow up of that was a write up of my experience getting a new one put in.

Well guess what, I got a new one today as well. It was even more surprising... and amazing I must add.

About 2 weeks ago, my PEG tube developed a leak. Nothing serious, the mouth of the tube and the cap were not closing "water tight". It started leaking at the rate of maybe 1 drop every minute.

I wanted to see for some time whether it will become ok by itself. Wishful thinking - it did not. Very slowly was increasing. Maybe 3 drops every 2 minutes.

So my wife asked her friend (an ex doctor - who had kindly arranged for everything previously at the hospital) what we have to do. She has clout in that hospital. She arranged for someone from the hospital to come home and check it out. 

He came this morning. He said he was in the hospital procedure room when I was there. They all wear masks in the procedure room or when they do house visits - so I can't really make out. I was not sure whether he was a technician, a nurse, a doctor or an onlooker that day.

He checked it. Said yes - there was a leak but everything else was ok with the tube - but he asked us whether we wanted to get it replaced anyway.

I was not keen. It was not a emergency or a big deal. Plus, I had to plan and go to the hospital again and was not looking forward to something like that again. But, we said ok anyway.

Next what happened shocked me and I was very pleasantly surprised.

He confirmed that it was over 2 hr since my previous feed. He opened his backpack, pulled out the implements needed - which is basically the guide wire and a new tube. We already had gloves, betadine, gauze and the gel needed.

He asked my nurses to put on the gloves , help him and got to the job. 5 minutes later I had a new peg tube. He was very good at very fast. No hospital, no headache, nothing.

Of course, we were charged for the PEG tube and his work charges. But it probably was less than ½ it would have been if I went to the hospital and related headaches. 

I paid half the price for the hospital to come home!

I was thinking afterwards, I can't think of this convenience anywhere else other than in India 🙂 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...