20230122 : AI

I have been interacting with chatGPT (open AI) recently.

I am reasonably aware of technology. I am certainly not an expert but I don't consider myself "technology illiterate".

I find it remarkable. A little beyond remarkable actually...
If someone is not technology literate, it is nothing short of pure magic!

I know I am suffering from the novelty factor and the feeling will wane, but I am stumped by the capability.

I am not very sure if it is a good thing for us though. It certainly is a very brilliant tool which can be very useful, but will we end up using it at the cost of our development.

I know, I know, why did we have to build and use calculators when log scales did the job. I get the argument. I however feel the earlier advances gave us productivity but this one - while giving enormous productivity will do so at the expense of retiring our brains.

Yes, it has happened many times earlier. Earlier we could remember phone numbers, significant event dates, appointments, important things if we wanted. Now there is no way we can do any of it without a contacts app, reminders app, notes app, etc. Can we do more and save time. Absolutely we can. But those advances have come at the expense to our memories.

Many of them have been a little gradual as well. It has been unnoticeable.

However, with this, the impact is sudden (to most). Also, it is not just memory it is impacting but the thinking capacity.

I know - there are 2 sides of every coin. Should we curb innovation to protect intelligence?

I consider myself generally liberal thinking and willing to embrace change.

With this one however, I am not very sure.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240811 - Bubbles on the back

20240124 : balancing the equations...