20221107 : COP

COP27 begins this week. Every news channel around the world is abuzz with some story about it. 

I am guessing from the creative naming that there have been 26 of these earlier.

I wouldn't say nothing has been achieved this long, many things have been done. Much more could have been achieved I feel though .

One thing it has established (for me) is that the world decided to come together and do something about the situation 27 years back. Prior to that it was probably easier to do anything...

One of the key debate in COP is that the developed/ richer countries have to bear the burden and pay the developing/ poorer countries because - well somebody has to pick up the tab right...
It isn't a new debate, it has been going on for years.

I am not aware of all the details, but the line of thinking and argument I have come across most often is that: some countries had the luxury of taking the lead (due to various geopolitical circumstances) to do their dirty work and got developed and rich, what is not understandable if other countries have similar aspirations now when they have the opportunity to.

It's a logical argument and understandable.

However, the problem remains and somehow the bill needs to be paid collectively.

I mean, if I was told I have to pay a price for mistakes I made over 2-3 decades ago, when it was most likely not considered a mistake by anyone then nor did I personally know I was making a mistake, surely my first response will be "no way in hell I am going to pay" and my followup actions will be towards "how do I get out of this".

I think (and as usual, I could be completely wrong), that we are looking at the situation with a logical and not emotional way.

Many countries have chosen to leverage the global connectedness over the past 2-3 decades to do business with others . (Most finished goods today have their component parts from 2 dozen countries). Over the years, many countries have chosen to outsource work and import components/ goods from others.

There driver for this (to my understanding) has been purely economical and didn't start with climate conciousness. In pursuit of better profits and keeping things affordable for people. (In that process many countries have shot themselves in their foot, but that is a different story).

However, what this has done is concentrated the "dirty" work in few countries who have been "dirt producers" and don't have the ability to pay for the bill for the damages due to their dirty work.

I think we have to change the conversation from dirt producers to dirt consumers to really understand who is consuming "dirty" things. The conversation changes from past sins to current sins. I am not accusing anybody. The country I currently reside in imports ample things (clothes, raw materials, components etc.) from many developing and aspiring countries as well. Some countries in Africa for example, are extremely "dirty" because they produce a lot of raw materials, but they don't consume anything they produce. They just do the dirty work for other countries..

I think and strongly feel we won't be able to collectively solve the problem till we move away from producers to consumers. Until we agree to some sort of a "dirt consumption tax". 

It is not going to be easy. On the contrary, it will be very painful..

However, I feel only then the consumption will decrease, so production will decrease and start easing the burden on this planet... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...