20221030 : Likes 👍🏼

Giving a like has become quite ubiquitous nowadays - across platforms and media. I have even used it in e-mails sometimes. WhatsApp had resisted for a while until they succumbed to it short while ago. We have a handful of options there as well.

Emoticons are everywhere in every platform - several of them to express every possible emotion.

But are they really?

I feel emoticons have actually stripped us off the ability to actually convey an emotion. I have done it several times and continue to do so as well.

But why am I doing it?
When I give a like 👍🏼, what am I actually liking (in whatever). Shouldn't I convey what I liked instead of an emoticon. What will the receiver understand?

I sometimes have done it as a "consolation prize". "I don't know what I like but I want you to see that I liked it when you count the likes!"

Sometimes I have done it as a social pressure (social media pressure actually). "Well, everyone will know otherwise - I better like it" kinds. Or, "they gave me a like earlier, I better do the same " types 

I even suspect there is even a "mutual back scratching" prevalence.

Same with all other emoticons/ emotions.

Am I saying that I felt something but don't have the time to let you know? Or I feel something but I don't want to tell you? Or I feel something but don't know how to convey it? Or even I feel something but I don't even know what it is I feel anymore.

Apart from making us unable to convey or emotions I think emoticons also are bringing a very "un-constructive" mindset in every thing - counting likes, counting reactions etc. Folks value themselves not by what they are but by how many likes/ reactions they get on their online presence. I think it can only lead to an unfortunate state of mind in the long run.


I have not cut this practice fully, but will try to make sure I think of "what am I liking?", "What am I feeling?" and will try to convey it - however awkwardly I can along with the emoticon I intend to use ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...