20220730 : one at a time

This is something as a pattern I have noticed with most of us. It might be right or wrong I don't know for sure, but I shall share it anyway. 

I have always been a lengthy writer. I have not got very used to the messaging shortcuts and acronyms much. I tend to write sentences fully.

Messages have become a big part of my life now. I mostly exist in the WhatsApp world.

Earlier (years ago), I used to live in the world of emails. Even in emails, I tend to be liberal with the content. Mostly detailed/ descriptive about what I am conveying or asking or instructing. 

When I moved into the messages world, I tended to do the same thing. It worked well with what I am conveying, however with the other two categories, I was not very successful and was seeing something interesting.

Let us say i wanted to know about 3 things. 

I would describe the 3 things in 3 paragraphs in detail and assume it was clear.

However, I would receive a response about the first one only.

Next I started to number them so it was clear there are 3 things. (I considered bullet points initially, but not supported on WhatsApp). However, in that case too the same was happening. Sometimes with luck, I would get a response about 2 of them.

This is a general observation and there are exceptions of course.

I also observed, the more verbose I was in what I am seeking, the less likelihood of getting a suitable response. So I started to think and actively cut down on words and be brief and precise with what I am seeking.

This is not any particular group or people. It was across the board.

However, I also started seeing that my success was proportional with age. The younger they are lesser chances of success and more precision was needed.

It was then I realised what was happening. Something we know about very well but I hadn't realised this part.

We have all fallen prey to a dose of ADHD. We can't focus on things which take time to process. Nor can we retain many things in the mind at a time. Only the first thing gets attention/ focus and everything else gets lost.

I am guessing scrolling through posts on social media, continuous watching shorts/ videos/ multitasking regularly between apps and devices have reduced the ability of our minds to stay attentive for more than a few seconds. 

The younger we are, more the influence and impact.

As i said, I might not be a 100% right, but I know I am not 100% wrong either.

What do I do now? Be a storyteller when I want to tell stories.

Everything else one at a time - as precise as I can manage to be... 


Comments

  1. You've got the dichotomy right. The messages are to get things done, and the long form to explain things.

    We use slack at work, and I have zero patience for people (esp those that I dont know) who start with "Hi" and expect me to continue the conversation until they tell me what they really want from me. I have nohello.com linked in my profile for that.

    But when I'm in the not getting things done and instead trying to understand a concept, I much prefer long form essays that are explanatory, and hate emojis, online chat short forms, etc. I do like full sentences, and I appreciate when the writer uses a baroque turn of phrase just for the joy of using language to its fullest.

    To that end: may I suggest these two vastly different takes on the matter:
    The Gervais Principle: https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2009/10/07/the-gervais-principle-or-the-office-according-to-the-office/

    Three little pigs like you've never heard before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_UegL1R3X8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are 100% right. All of us have atleast ADD 😊 degrees may be different for different people but fundamental definition I think is valid for all.

    People who have realised it or all kinds of propaganda guys who are selling something. Marketing/advertising, political, religious or spiritual organizations..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recommendations KD. The preferences - I have many similar. I see it as age not being able to catch up with the youngsters 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. True Madhukar, the challenge to marketers is to figure out how to catch someone's attention in such diminishing attention spans

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240811 - Bubbles on the back

20240124 : balancing the equations...