20220702: blind balance

This is not new if folks know facts. But for me it was a revelation, realisation and a very new experience.

Everyday during my physio, the therapist makes me stand. Just stand no movement and no support. It is a very very difficult thing for me to do - not just because my muscles are a mush, but also because the stroke has affected my sense of balance a lot.
It was very bad initially and has gotten better slowly over the years.

Over many many days of doing this and I have managed close to a minute.

Then I start swaying like a leaf in the breeze and the therapist taps me constantly in the opposite direction to push back the centre of gravity to the middle.

I have forever assumed that balance is controlled by the inner ear fluid. Not that anything happened to my inner ear with the stroke but I am guessing the inner ear has to communicate with the brain anyway to achieve this - and there lay my problem.

I was very happy and proud even to get over the minute mark recently. It was a good indication to me that the brain's neuroplasticity was in the right direction.

Today when I was confidently standing, maybe 15 seconds into it, he said "close your eyes"

Simple enough!

I closed my eyes.

I think I lasted about 1½ seconds before I came down like a house of cards. No I didn't fall to the ground. My therapist is a strong man. I am sure he knew very well what to expect.

We tried it few more times. The outcome was the same (and going by his readiness for the catch, very predictable for him I am guessing).

I have known that sight bolsters the sence of balance, but I had not realised the extent of it.

I have the ability to see and leverage this ability. Next time I come across someone who is blind and on their feet, I will have a newfound respect for the feat they are achieving...

Comments

  1. Anonymous3/7/22 22:15

    So much positivity in your words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240811 - Bubbles on the back

20240124 : balancing the equations...