20220507 : Cakewalk with Cakewala


I have a nice experience to share..

Yesterday was my daughter's birthday.

 I wanted to get a cake for her - order it a few days back. 

Not the numerous off the display ones, I wanted to get the type which has a custom edible image  printed on top - so it matched with the theme of this time.

The usual food delivery apps don't have that option. I had looked around.

 I had done a lot of research and had ordered from someone sometime back. I had not had a very great experience with the process, support etc. The cake that turned up was also looking just ok. Didn't feel like going that route again.

I remembered I had gotten a similar cake about 5 years back and it was good.

I did some looking online and got the email of the shop. I wrote to them and somebody responded saying I have to speak to their manager and gave his mobile number.

I can't call, so I sent a message on WhatsApp. I wasn't very hopeful that I will get a response. I don't respond to unknown folks myself and expected a similar treatment.

To my surprise, few hours later, I got a response. Few more message exchanges later, I was given the details - items list, prices, etc.

I picked what I wanted, shared the image I wanted printed and asked the total price with delivery.

At that point, I was told that they don't deliver these kinds of orders. It's only pick-up. 

There are the food delivery folks but this custom option is not doable through them.

There are independent pickup/ delivery services - but none I can pull off as they need the ability to speak and coordinate.

I disclosed to the manager I was unable to speak and coordinate due to my condition and requested if they could make an exception and somehow arrange for it to be home delivered.

He assured me not to worry and he would arrange for it.

Meanwhile, I had corresponded couple of times after to confirm few things and he had very promptly responded and assured me each time.

I was a little anxious yesterday (as usual 🙄), wondering about the delivery as it was not a standard tested one.

In the afternoon, the delivery arrived. To my surprise/ shock, the manager had come himself to bring the cake with him!

I was overwhelmed to say the least! I am very grateful to him for this kind gesture!

When the cake was opened later, I was pleasantly surprised (stunned actually) on how well it was made and finished.

I had enquired earlier today regarding candles and he had given a full box with the cake and had also given a matchbox with it - so  just in case, so we had everything we needed!

That took customer focus to a different level.


In general, l feel, for anyone to do well in business, it is no doubt needed to have a mind primed for business, but also very important to have an understanding and empathy towards their customers.


I assume they are doing well as they have been around for years and have expanded even. However, full marks to them for the latter as well - thanks to their manager

Now I know that doesn't necessarily mean everybody in the store will be exactly like that, but every employee looks and takes cues from their managers/ bosses and the culture and practices percolate down to everyone eventually... That usually makes or breaks the business!

After all this, I asked him if I could provide a feedback or review somewhere that might be useful. And guess what his response was - no need, a happy customer and their blessings is all that he needs...


PS: for those who know it, it's the Cakewala - Jayanagar 4T block, Bangalore.
      

The manager who interacted and was very understanding and helpful all along - Mr. Gurdeep Singh Babbar.



Comments

  1. Archana murthy7/5/22 19:50

    Truly so touching....Acknowledging ones gestures is also a great deed ..your writings are inspiring... luv archie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think acknowledging a good deed is nothing great but a kind of duty we all have to positively enforce the behaviour. We mostly do not have time for it. I just have the luxury of having nothing else to do 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...