20220422 : the ceiling

I feel I have hit a ceiling with my rehab.

I have not yet plateaued on the general overall improvements. That will go on with it's snail's pace for some time more.

I feel I have hit the ceiling with general strength in the body.

I have been at strengthening the left hand and leg for atleast 1.5 years now. After the initial development of strength, I feel it has stopped sometime back. It is still slowly improving wrt flexibility, etc. But strength has stopped a while back - no matter what and how much I exercise it.

When I had the stroke - just prior ie, it was very common for me to attend a function (like a wedding) and have a very big meal - I mean a seriously big meal, polish off everything on the plate (the plantain leaf most often) and then have 2 full glasses of water.

A glass is usually 250 ~ 300ml.

That is my meal now 200 ~ 300ml!

Sure, I have protein shake, oatmilk, rice, vegetables etc. But it is 300ml.

The label on the box says it is enough and more protein for me. However that is just the label. What my broken body can absorb is anybody's guess. And that is just the protein part. I am not sure how I fare with carbs, minerals, fats, etc.

Also , I remember reading a while back that digestion starts in the mouth. Food gets mixed well with saliva and those enzymes play a big part in breaking down the food and absorbing it. Too bad, the mouth is bypassed for over 3 years now.

I feel the body has hit a ceiling. It is the limit of what it can do with what it gets.

Unless I am able to consume orally and greater quantities and variety of intake, this is the limit it can do.

Unfortunately, that is the 1 thing that has progressively deteriorated over the last one and half years. In fact in the last over a month, after my hospital escapade, I have not had the courage to try even a single spoon of anything. I am guessing the muscles in the throat will be pretty much dead by now.

I can picture myself having a meal with everyone. Everyone with their plates and glasses. I with my funnel for the PEG and a strange looking fluid for the meal.

I am sure I will always be first to finish the meal 🙂.

I will probably be able to have the same drink!

Drinks will probably be even faster. When everyone is slowly sipping hard stuff , I will down it no problem. Every drink will be very smooth for me...😂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240811 - Bubbles on the back

20240124 : balancing the equations...