20220108 : Gyroscopes and Accelerometers

Everyday I stand for sometime with the standing frame. 

When my physiotherapist comes, he makes me walk a bit with the frame.

Some days he puts my leg in a knee brace (so it doesn't buckle), the ankle in a AFO brace (so it is supported and does not twist) and he makes me do the same walk.

He holds me by the side, my left arm around his neck, right arm in a sling around my neck and lifts my right hip every other stride so I can try and drag the right foot forward a little.
It is anyway impossible if the hip is not lifted by him.

I wonder everytime, what is that bloody leg made out of. Concrete, iron, something heavier - gold maybe. 

Some days, we get even more adventurous. He makes me stand, right leg fully braced up and he lets go. His both hands few centimetres away and the nurses close by , waiting for the catch. Brief periods - to see if the body can balance.

Earlier, before the stroke, standing was taken for granted. There was millions of years of evolution supporting the body.

Now, since all that benefit has been erased, and very few muscles are awake (I don't think full muscles, few strands from muscle groups), and whatever has just woken up is still drowsy with some kind of a hangover, I can make out where all it is constantly contracting and relaxing as the body is swaying about.

It is constant and realtime. Impossible to even consciously recognise everywhere at the same time. It is like having a complex control system with accelerometers and gyros in every muscle with real time feedback systems.

I am amazed at what I experience. No words can describe the feeling of reverence to the brain and subconscious for doing this every waking moment.

And do you know what else I have developed immense regard for - without which it would be impossible for me to balance/ stand.

It's the toes. The big one especially. I just can't highlight enough the job it does constantly tightening and loosening to maintain balance.

All left leg of course, the right one is still made of gold. My physiotherapist (my reverse alchemist) is doing his job for a while. No breakthroughs to report yet...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240811 - Bubbles on the back

20240124 : balancing the equations...