20210531 : evolution and hiccups


I am unable to swallow anything. Apart from swallowing itself being a problem (anything being pushed down the oesophagus), the bigger problem is aspiration. Even a spoon of water, some of it goes into the windpipe (trachea) causing violent coughing. It's not just me, many stroke survivors have some form of disphagia (trouble swallowing).

This is because we (well, most mammals I know), have the food pipe and the windpipe opening up at the pharynx (back of throat). Alternatively, if they didn't merge, it would be simpler no?

I wonder, Why did this happen?

Even a simple thing like getting hiccups? Why does it happen? I mean, i know how and why it physiologically happens. But what advantage does it give in evolutionary terms? It doesn't help in "fight" or "flight". It doesn't even help if you want to hide!

 So, why was it needed this way?

 I imagine it would by a struggle when evolving. So, Why did the characteristics survive the lens of natural or artificial selection and survival of the fittest?

I couldn't get an answer from the Oracle (a.k.a Google) in my cursory search.

I hope someone has the answer to these, and many other "questionable designs" that made it....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240811 - Bubbles on the back

20240124 : balancing the equations...