20210822 : my nurse's phone



My nurse's phone saga continues...

Few days back, I shared about my nurse wanting to buy a phone.

Well, the same day my other nurse's phone well and truly died. It was an old phone, repaired many times earlier and visible battle wounds. No hopes of resuscitation I guess.

She has been like a fish out of water for past 2 days.

This morning, she asked me which phone to buy. 

I have not felt the burden of responsibility come down so heavily in a while. I wouldn't feel so much pressure if I was selecting for myself.

I asked the price range and did the research.

I felt very relieved when she told me her brother picked a make/ model and that would be it.

It was not the same I had arrived at. So I just gave it as a suggestion for the same range and left it at that..

So many times we give opinion/advise to others. I would categorise into three categories.

1. Where out of our concern for some situation, we dish it out. Its mostly unsolicited. When we give it, we kinda know, it will most likely not be heeded to.

2. When someone asks us our opinion, but we kinda know that it is just an input amongst many and they will make their own decision based on all the inputs.

3. Is when someone asks us an opinion on something and we feel they are looking for guidance. It's not advise but direction. It's a big responsibility as it will be taken as given and acted accordingly. They are asking us because they are unable to make that decision themselves. They have to live your choice.

In my mind the situation moved today for me from #3 to #2. It took off the pressure for me.

Whether it is a phone or some other life choice, can we identify the role we are playing effectively? Do we take appropriate responsibility for our advice?...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...