20210821 : Inspirational speakers

Both before the stroke and after, I have listened to a lots of speakers, read several books and blogs. All admirable ones - for inspiration.

I have undoubtedly been very much touched by many of those. But after the stroke, their impact on me reduced drastically. Everything seemed good words one could do when they are able to. There have been many stories representing the struggles of many, battling through their circumstances and a variety of illnesses. I have tremendous respect to them as well.

However, as much as I admired all of them, their victories and messages, I simply could not connect with them. It was their individual journey and the corresponding narrative.

Until I encountered the story of 'Brisa Alfaro'.

This was a different story altogether.

It was frankly an unbelievable story. I was moved because it was a very similar story. It was the closest comparable journey so far...

I am part of a support group called "StrokeSupportIndia". Often, they organise an external guest speaker, to participate and share their stories and learning in their journey.

Few days back, we were very fortunate to have Brisa as the speaker.

 I was very overwhelmed, to say the least. I'm sure the impression I left for everyone around me was "whats the fuss, when I had seen and knew all this".

Everyone talks their walk. But I couldn't see the end to my journey because it was a different walk. With Brisa, the starting points were same. There will be differences in trajectories. The length might be much longer. But the end state was very encouraging.

My journey by no measure seems like it will be a short ride.. just have to keep chipping at it daily without wondering "are we there yet". Is this it. Is it over. Over time, it has definitely dampened the spirit a bit.

Watching Brisa's journey and achievement, definitely lifted up the energy and spirit. Hope was rekindled.

I have shared here a video of her story earlier. Here again:
https://youtu.be/6C9tg_T1X9o

A video of the talk (if you are interested and have time):
https://youtu.be/sUzRxuYRMTI.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20231208 : Privilege...

20240124 : balancing the equations...

20240402 : Transducers...